A quick post with some notes on how to solve this issue. When running apt update and apt upgrade on Ubuntu I received this error message:
Errors were encountered while processing: sa-compile E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
So I tried running
sa-compile myself which returned the following:
sa-compile: not compiling; 'spamassassin --lint' check failed!
It wasn’t obvious to me at first but running
spamassassin --lint helped. It lead me to my main.cf which I had changed and never checked 😖
After fixing the offending line, I was able to restart spamassassin, run sa-compile and update successfully.
If you have any questions or would like further support, please use my contact form.